Advance Parole

Advance Parole Attorney Serving St. Charles, Missouri

The term “advance parole” refers to a travel authorization for a foreign national who has a pending green card application. All green card holders currently living in the United States must apply for Advance Parole with the USCIS before leaving the country.

A family-based green card application can take ten months to several years to complete. This is a very long time to be in the United States for an immigrant or green card applicant. Please do not hesitate to call our Gateway Immigration Law Firm’s advance parole attorney if you are experiencing any troubles with your immigration.

Why Do I Need Advance Parole?

If you have a pending green card application and wish to go outside the U.S. while you wait, you will need Advance Parole. If you leave the United States without Advance Parole before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) decides on your green card application, your case will be abandoned. USCIS will terminate any abandoned green card applications, and you will have to start anew, which is costly and time-consuming. If you’re eligible, you should apply for Advance Parole to avoid encountering issues.

Who is Eligible for Advance Parole?

Travel permit applications are approved on a case-by-case basis by the USCIS. If you fit into one of the following criteria, you may be eligible for Advance Parole:

  • You applied for a green card adjustment of status using Form I-485.
  • You applied for Temporary Protected Status (TPS).
  • You have applied for asylum, or you are an asylee.
  • Under Section 245(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), you have a pending application for temporary resident status.
  • You were given TPS, T nonimmigrant, or U nonimmigrant status by the USCIS.
  • Under Section 212 (d)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), USCIS or Customs and Border Protection (CBP) granted you humanitarian parole.
  • You received benefits through the Family Unity Program.
  • You’re a DACA recipient.
Contact an experienced St Charles advance parole attorney to find out if you qualify today.

Who Cannot Apply for Advance Parole?

On the contrary, if one or more of the following apply to you, you are not eligible for Advance Parole:

  • After several illegal entries into the United States, you now reside in the country without proper immigration status.
  • You have a valid re-entry permit or refugee paperwork.
  • You have a J visa or a visa that requires you to live in another country.
  • You’ve benefited from a private immigration law that Congress has authorised.
  • You are now through a removal procedure (deportation).
  • You are an asylum seeker or a refugee not applying for a green card.

You can apply for Advance Parole if you’ve been in the United States illegally. However, even if your request is approved, you may be denied re-entry. If you’ve been in the country illegally for more than 180 days to one year, USCIS will prevent you from reentering for three years. USCIS will prohibit you from ten years if you have been without status for a year or more.

Before flying overseas, you should always seek counsel from a seasoned Missouri immigration attorney if you’ve resided in the United States without legal status for any length of time.

What Happens If I Don't Apply for Advance Parole?

You’ll have to start the green card application procedure all over again with the USCIS. Restarting the process from the beginning would necessitate additional resources, including money. Obtain your Advance Parole or other travel documents before leaving the country.

If you are a Missouri resident who is currently awaiting the outcome of your green card application and you wish to travel abroad, our St. Charles advance parole attorney can help you apply for a travel permit and a visa if such is the case. The process of immigration can be time-consuming and expensive if it isn’t carried out appropriately. Your trip will be more leisurely if you have a trustworthy immigration lawyer on your side.

How Do I Apply for Advance Parole?

The procedure for applying for Advance Parole is simple. First, fill out “Application for Travel Document,” (Form I-131) which is the official application form. After you’ve finished filling out the form, you’ll need to collect the government fees and supporting papers, then send them with the form to the USCIS.

Step 1: Complete Form I-131

The core of your Advance Parole application is Form I-131. You must complete and sign this form before submitting your travel permit request to the U.S. government. You can fill out the form in one of two ways:

Step 2: Gather Supporting Documents for Form I-131

When you’ve finished filling out Form I-131, you’ll need to collect the government filing fee and any required supporting papers to submit with the form. The supporting papers are as follows:

  • If your green card is pending, you will get a receipt notification from USCIS after filing Form I-485.
  • Two passport-style pictures.
  • A document from the USCIS confirming the legitimacy of your present immigration status; this might be an approval notification (Form I-797).
  • A photocopy of a government-issued identity document (I.D.) with your name, date of birth, and photo (passport, driver’s licence, employment authorization document).
  • If you’re applying for Advance Parole based on your spouse’s pending green card application, you’ll need a marriage certificate.
  • Birth certificate of the kid (if applying for Advance Parole for a child based on a pending child green card application).
  • The more evidence you have to back up your reasons for going, the better.

Step 3: Submit Complete Form I-131

You can send USCIS your completed Form I-131 and accompanying papers by mail or online. To submit your petition online, you must first create a MyUSCIS account and then submit it using that account.

You must send your application package to a specific USCIS mailing address, depending on where you live and what mail service you choose to deliver your forms if you want to submit your papers by mail. You’ll send your documents to the USCIS. Check the specific direct filing address on the USCIS website.

If you’re filing Form I-131 overseas, you must first get your local U.S. embassy or consulate approval. To make your request in person, you’ll need to book an appointment with your local U.S. embassy. All U.S. embassies and consulates are listed on the State Department’s website.

How About Emergency Travel?

The processing of travel documents can be sped up in several ways. The death or severe illness of a close family member or close friend who lives in another country may necessitate expedited processing of an application. USCIS will interview you and ask you a few questions to confirm the aforementioned emergencies.

The earliest possible appointment with the local USCIS office is highly suggested for those seeking travel documents or accelerated parole. As a time-saving measure, this has been implemented. Make sure to bring passport photos, documents, or proof of emergency travel. Medical records or a signed note from a family physician are often recommended when a family member passes away.

Also, there is no additional charge for an emergency travel document.

What Are Some Travel Tips to Keep in Mind When Travelling With Advance Parole?

You cannot leave the United States until you have your physical travel document after successfully applying for Advance Parole. It will take 3 to 5 months to reach you, so plan on remaining in the United States until you obtain the physical paperwork.

Advance Parole paperwork often enables you to go abroad for up to a year. USCIS, on the other hand, retains the ability to cancel your permission for any reason. If this happens, you will be unable to return to the United States unless you have a valid visa or other papers permitting you to do so.

When travelling overseas, remember that fingerprinting (biometrics) and interview sessions are required. Even though your travel visa allows you to travel for up to a year, you’ll most likely miss many of these appointments if you don’t return to the United States regularly. If you believe you will be late for your appointment, please follow the USCIS rescheduling procedures outlined in your appointment notification.

The same may be said about regularly receiving documentation from USCIS in the mail. It’s advisable to make arrangements to receive mail when going overseas or amend your USCIS postal address.

Work With Seasoned Missouri Advance Parole Attorneys Today!

An Advance Parole application can take a long time to complete. You’ll save a lot of time and money if you keep on top of the paperwork and ensure everything is done correctly. You may rest assured that your advance parole application will be processed quickly if you hire the best advance parole attorney in St. Charles, MO.

At Gateway Immigration Law Firm, we can help make sure that everything in your green card application goes will so you can get your permanent residency in the US. Whether you’re applying for family immigration, national waiver, SIJ status, or other immigration benefits, we’re here for you. Call and schedule an appointment today!

Let our immigration attorneys help you!

Popup form

Get Your Free Copy

[gravityform id="7" title="false" description="false" ajax="true"]