Ways to Help Your Spouse Immigrate to the United States

Reunite Your Family!

Are you looking for ways to help your spouse immigrate to the United States? If so, you’re not alone. Navigating the immigration process can be challenging, considering its complexity and the potential impact on you and your family. To ensure you avoid any pitfalls, it’s advisable to seek the guidance of an experienced immigration attorney in St. Charles, Missouri.

At Gateway Immigration Law Firm, we understand the intricacies of immigration law and are here to help you find solutions. Our services are customized to cater to your specific needs, providing the assistance you require. Start your immigration journey with us today and let us support you every step of the way! Contact us now to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward bringing your spouse to the United States. 

Spousal Immigration: A Brief Overview

Immigration for a spouse, also known as spousal immigration or marriage-based immigration, refers to the process of bringing a foreign national spouse to live and reside in the same country as their legally recognized spouse who is a citizen or permanent resident of that country. This type of immigration is based on the marital relationship between the two individuals.

In the context of St. Charles, Missouri, for example, U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents residing in St. Charles can sponsor their foreign national spouses for immigration to the United States. The process typically involves submitting an application, supporting documentation, and fulfilling specific requirements to establish the authenticity and validity of the marriage.

The immigration authorities in St. Charles, Missouri, review the application, conduct background checks, and assess the validity of the marital relationship to determine if the foreign national spouse is eligible for an immigrant visa or permanent residency. The process may include interviews, medical examinations, and other procedures to ensure compliance with immigration laws.

The purpose of immigration for spouses is to enable married couples to live together in St. Charles, Missouri, promoting family unity and allowing spouses to build a life together. It is important to follow the immigration laws and procedures of the United States, as applicable in St. Charles, to ensure a smooth and legal process for immigration based on marriage.

Obtaining Permanent Residency for a Spouse Already in the United States

If your spouse is already in the United States, there are several options for obtaining permanent residency. Here are some common routes to pursue:

  • Adjustment of Status: If your spouse entered the country on a nonimmigrant visa, they may be eligible to apply for an adjustment of status to permanent resident status without leaving the United States. To apply, your spouse must file Form I-485 and provide evidence of eligibility, including a marriage certificate, proof of legal entry, and evidence of financial support.
  • Consular Processing: If your spouse is not eligible for adjustment of status or if you prefer to go through consular processing, you can apply for a visa through the US Department of State. Your spouse will need to complete Form DS-260 and attend an interview at a US embassy or consulate in their home country.
  • Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver: If your spouse entered the United States without inspection or overstayed their visa, they may be subject to a three or ten-year bar on re-entering the country if they leave. To avoid this, your spouse may be eligible for a provisional unlawful presence waiver, which allows them to apply for a waiver of the bar while still in the United States.
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA): If your spouse entered the United States as a child and meets certain eligibility requirements, they may be eligible for deferred action under the DACA program, which would provide them with temporary protection from deportation and work authorization.

It is important to consult with an experienced Missouri immigration attorney to determine the best course of action for your specific situation. An attorney can help you navigate the complex legal requirements, gather the necessary documentation, and represent you in court or at interviews.

Obtaining Permanent Residency for a Spouse Who is Abroad

If your spouse is abroad and you want to bring them to the United States as a permanent resident, there are several steps you will need to follow:

  • Determine eligibility: Make sure that both you and your spouse meet the eligibility criteria for the appropriate visa, such as a K-3 or CR-1 visa. This may include proving that your marriage is bona fide and that you are financially able to support your spouse.
  • File a petition: File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to establish the relationship between you and your spouse and initiate the visa process.
  • Complete the required forms: Your spouse will need to complete various forms to apply for the appropriate visa, such as the DS-160 for nonimmigrant visas or the DS-260 for immigrant visas.
  • Gather required documentation: Collect all necessary documentation to support your spouse’s visa application, such as a marriage certificate, evidence of financial support, and a criminal record check.
  • Attend the interview: Your spouse will need to attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. During the interview, they will need to demonstrate that their marriage to you is legitimate and that they meet the requirements for the appropriate visa.
  • Receive the visa: If your spouse’s visa is approved, they will be able to enter the United States and receive a Green Card (permanent resident status) after entering the country.

It is important to note that the visa application process can be complex and time-consuming, and the requirements may vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case. It is recommended to seek professional legal assistance to ensure the best possible outcome. An experienced immigration attorney can help you navigate the process, gather the necessary documentation, and represent you in court or at interviews.

Can My Spouse Come to the United States to Live While the Visa Petition Is Pending?

If you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may petition for your spouse to come and live with you in the United States. However, the process of obtaining a visa for your spouse can be lengthy, and it may take several months or even years before your spouse is able to join you.

While the visa petition is pending, your spouse may be able to come to the United States on a temporary visa, such as a tourist visa or a student visa. However, your spouse will not be able to live and work in the United States while on a temporary visa, and there is a risk that the visa may be denied if the consular officer believes that your spouse intends to remain in the United States permanently.

If your spouse is already in the United States on a temporary visa, such as a student visa, he or she may be able to apply for a change of status to become a lawful permanent resident based on your petition. However, this process can be complex and time-consuming, and it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that your spouse’s application is properly prepared and submitted.

Use The Best Ways to Help Your Spouse Immigrate to the United States! 

Now that you already know the best ways to help your spouse immigrate to the United States, it’s time to hire an experienced immigration attorney. While this article can provide you with comprehensive information, the actual process is difficult to navigate. It requires a thorough understanding and relentless efforts. 

If you’re searching for a trustworthy law firm, look no further than Gateway Immigration Law Firm. Our legal team has comprehensive knowledge and experience in other areas such as amnesty, employment-based immigration, E2 Investor Visa, student visas, diversity visas, and so much more. Take action and seek assistance today!

Sidebar Form

Related Articles

Let our immigration attorneys help you!

Popup form

Get Your Free Copy

[gravityform id="7" title="false" description="false" ajax="true"]